Pages

05 January, 2013

Best Damn Pot of Ham and Bean Soup Ever (I shit you not)

I'm weak for a good bowl of soup. If it can be eaten with a spoon I swoon. As a busy (occasionally lazy) mom, I appreciate a pot of food that last for days.

We all like Chicken Noodle, Chili, and some people (not me) love Tomato soup. But my personal favorite is Ham and Bean Soup. I don't do anything way out and wacky with my recipe. I stay pretty close to your run of the mill soup. But, damn it is perfect every time.

This recipe does take 4 hours of simmer time. Plus the overnight soaking of your beans. So plan ahead, don't fail me now.

I also make a BIG batch. So get yourself a big soup pot.

 Best Damn Ham and Bean Soup:
  •  2-4 c. of "16 Bean Soup" beans
  • 8-10 cups water for boiling
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 Med. Onion, diced
  • 3-4 carrots peeled and diced
  • 2 lbs ham steak, cubed
  • sm. can of diced jalapeƱos- If you're using fresh, I'd go with 1 jalapeƱo 
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2-3 tbsp. Salt, pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1-2 tsp. Paprika

    Directions
  1. Soak 2-4 cups of "16 Bean" soup beans for at least 24 hours. Change out the water once or twice in that time- I swear it means less gas in the end. 
  2. In your big soup pot, add all of the ingredients.
  3. Bring it to a boil and what ever temperature you like.
  4. Let it simmer for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Leave the lid off or half on for the whole time. Add more water if you get nervous about the boil off.

Pretty simple but with fantastic taste results.  




No comments:

Post a Comment